One of the real treats of living in Northwest Arkansas is our area’s fantastic water recreation opportunities.
Here are a few ideas to help you enjoy our oceans, beaches, lakes and rivers, and help keep them clean for the next generation of users:
· Looking out for your beach body. Stay healthy by choosing a beach that tests lower for bacteria like E. coli.
· Observing more wildlife. Proper disposal of chemicals and litter helps keep your beaches cleaner and animals healthier (plastic waste alone kills 1 million sea birds and 100,000 sea mammals on U.S. coasts each year).
· Scoping out nicer beaches. Wouldn’t you rather enjoy a beach that is clean and healthy?
And to help make all your favorite beaches cleaner, no matter where you are:
· Remember to put garbage in a bin where it won’t escape and end up downstream in rivers and oceans, since some animals may mistake it for food.
· Use eco-fertilizer and eco-pesticides on your garden and sweep rather than hose down your driveway to avoid sending runoff into storm drains and out to the ocean.